Saturday, December 11

Rain, Rain. Go Away

The rain always seems to add to someone’s mood. It can make you depressed, cold, not wanting to get out of bed or do anything, sometimes it even makes me want to keep off all the lights. It’s dark and dreary, and I don’t think I’ve looked on the bright side of rain in quite a while.

Today, while I was doing the dishes, my hands swishing around in the water, the rain splashed against the window, and I had a sudden urge to go out. The house was just killing me today, just driving me. Mom and liss were fighting again, and I had a headache the size of Toronto.

So I went for a walk. I put on some clothes, randomly, and threw on my coat, grabbed some money for the store and ventured out into the rain.

I’d forgot the smell of rain. Actually no, I’d just forgotten how to smell it. It was sweet and clean and fresh. It smelt like trees and rivers and the wilderness. I walked in the rain, I didn’t put up my hood, I didn’t shield my face from the cold, I walked in the rain. It didn’t matter that I had on really old gym pants or that by now I probably looked like a drowned rat with my hair. It was dark, and it was dreary, but it was familiar and calming.

They say you can leave home, but home will never leave you. I think that’s true. No matter how long you’ve lived away from home, no matter how much of a Maritimer you’ve become, there’s always a bit of home left in. There’s always that love of the rain.

By the time I got to the store, I was soaked. The parking lot was covered in ice from the rain mixing with the melting snow. Before I knew it, I was flat on my ass, right in front of the window to the store. Some worker inside came out to ask me if I was ok. It was embarrassing, but I laughed it off, even though my pride hurt a bit more then my ass.

When I came in, I was wet and cold, but the cold was so cold that it had a numbing effect and it wasn’t cold anymore. Inside was stifling and warm, and I had a sudden urge to go back out into the rain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

simply amazing.

You have a way with words like no other.

Please, don't ever stop writing...