Sunday, December 26

The Ghosts In My Closet

Nightmares haunt us everywhere we go. In a city as old and established as Saint John, there are plenty of ghosts. It’s only if you take the time to notice them, or if they might take the time to notice you.

But nightmares for many people, is a word slung around too loosely these days. You can describe a situation as a nightmare, a person as a nightmare, a party as a nightmare. Anything that goes wrong can be classified as a nightmare.

Sometimes relationships are a nightmare, truly, they are. I’ve learned this, we all have though. There are always those ghosts of old relationships coming back to haunt you in a nightmarish fashion. Or sometimes, maybe they’re not a nightmare, just a reminder of someone who you can’t have.

A wise friend once said to me, “If the two of you were meant to be, your paths will meet again.” Does that mean that until that time I’ll be haunted? And if we were meant to be, wouldn’t we have not broken up in the first place?

Maybe it’s the guys that are like ghosts or nightmares, skeletons in your closet. I have a few, mind you they are organized and fashionable. And they’ll always be there, every day I open it to take something out, a reminder of things lost, or of things to come…

Saint John is an old city, the first established in Canada. There are so many “firsts” here, even for me. My first nightmare, happening right now.

No comments: