Tuesday, August 2

well, here we say sneaker: a memoir on my wild night


So, my first night of work turned out quite interesting. After working straight from 2:00-11:30, cleaning, clearing tables, serving food, and working my little hiney off, Chantal had the bright idea to hit on this guy who was attending the banquet we were hosting. (By the way, the banquet was for the Canadian National Archery Something-Something.)

"Merci! Bon soir!" we called as diners left the gym, fattened up from the steak and lobster buffet.

"Hey buddy!" Chantal hissed over at the guy. "Hey you, come here! Where you from?"

"Uh, Saskatchewan." He mumbled. Aww, he looked shy!

"Oh ya cool. Hey, do you have msn?"

"What?"

"M.S.N., Do you have it?"

"Uh ya..."

"Well want to give it to me?"

"Sure. Let me just write it down..."

He did, and as he walked away all I said was, "I can't believe you did that Chantal! You're nuts!"

Later, while in the kitchens, two of the other waitresses came running in looking for us.

"Hey, blonde guy wants you! He's out there!"

"What?! What did he say?!"

"He said, 'go find those girls who wanted my msn."

We made up some excuse to not have to help out anymore, then went flying out the large kitchen doors.

"Be cool," I whispered, "Act cool."

We strolled casually into the gym where he still was.

"Hey," he called over to us, walking up. "What are you girls doing tonight?"

"Working..." We both said.

"Well, take down this number and give us a call if you want to come drinking tonight with me and some of my buddies back at the university where we're staying." he said, pointing the the number scrawled out on his forearm.
I tried to convince Chantal, but she didn't think it was a good idea. So we agreed on calling the boys later on that night and seeing how long they were staying in town.

Chantal did, and they asked us to hang out Monday night.

So around 6:30 last night I walked down to Chantal's and we primped and dolled ourselves up for quite a while.

"Dad," Chantal called. "Will you drive us to the McDonald's in Millidgeville? We're going to hang out with some friends."

"Mom," I said into the phone. "Me and Chantal are going to the late show tonight, so I'll be home around 12:00."

"Hey," I said into the payphone about 20 minutes later. "Can we have a cab come to the Millidgeville McDonald's, heading to the University? Thanks."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's him!" Chantal yelled, hopping out of the cab. I quickly paid the driver and jumped out after her.

We followed Blondy (Brock) into the university and to the living room area close to his room. We were supposed to wait there for the other guy (Nolan) to show up, but he ended up taking for-ever. So we just sat around having random conversation, then Chantal ended up getting Brock to show us him dorm room, which was absolutely packed full of archery stuff, like bows and arrows and whatnot.














Brock demonstrates...

"Ew, what's that?" Chantal asked, pointing to a bottle of brownish colored water on the sink.

"Water, from your harbor. It smells pretty bad, wanna whiff?" He offered, holding it out to us. It did actually smell reaaalllyyy bad. I declined.

"Aww, You kept this?" Chantal asked again, picking up the lobster fork from the banquet dinner.

"Ya, souvenir."

"Well, we need to give you something to remember us by then!" I said.

"Here, sign this." He handed me his hat.

We both signed it, quite nicely, underneath, then we all decided to walk over and get the other guy because he still hadn't shown.

I paused for a moment while we were walking down the hall and Chantal and Brock kept walking. I turned the corner to follow them and came face to face with frigging make-out 2005!

"Jesus!" I yelled, scaring them both. "You guys just met!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We got to the other guy's room and demanded that he got up and came out with us. Well, first we raided his fridge for popsicles, pizza and fruitopia.













Nolan and me.

"So, what are you kids doing tonight?" Asked some random guy, I had no clue who he was.

"Trying to find a way uptown!" I said, "Do you like, want to drive us there?"

"Sil-te-plait!" Chantal begged in French. (We'd soon found out that our French was quite astounding to these Saskatchewan folks.)

"I guess so, I have to go into town anyways."

"You're my new best friend," I yelled, almost hugging him.













Pat, my new best friend.

We all piled into the rental car, Nolan calling shotgun, and drove like frigging wild nuts out of the University parking lot.

"Wow, you drive like a fucking freak!" I yelled. Chantal nodded beside me. "I'm putting on my seat belt!"

"This is how we do in Saskatchewan eh!"

We got dropped off at the harbor Passage and walked from there to the board walk.

Then we:

-Went down to the dock-thingy and made funny movies in French.

-Had our group picture taken.













Me, Nolan, Chantal and Brock.

-Chantal and Brock got back to getting it on.













Muah, Mauh!

-Brock and Nolan insisted that we take their picture by the moose.













G-G-G-G-units!! (From Saskatchewan!)

-We then went on a search for a place to go pee. This brought us down around Saint John high and a random tour led by me and Chantal, until we came to the Opera Bistro. Fate had it that the girl working there also worked at the banquet with me and Chantal and let Brock use the bathroom.












The Opera Bistro was quite nice.

After that a lot of randomness ensued. We walked from uptown to the cathedral, (Which Nolan and Brock thought was pretty damn cool.) Then we walked over the sky-pass thing and showed them the North End. Chantal and Brock made out a bit more and then they decided to ride around in shopping carts.

My favorite Moment of The Night:

Chantal: Aww, don't walk in the grass Brock, your sneakers will get wet.

Brock: Sneakers?!

Chantal: Sneakers! The things on your feet!

Brock and Nolan: (while hysterically laughing.) You mean shoes?!

Me: No, shoes are like the category, sneakers are what you guys are wearing.

Brock: In Saskatchewan, we say shoes. But now we're going to say sneakers haha!

I also learned that "I'm going to beak ya for that." Means: "I'm going to make fun of you!"

All in all, it was a pretty nuts night. That's what I love about ya Chantal! You make me do stupid stuff haha, and your mom said I was supposed to be making sure you were good tonight!

Oh Well, I know you had fun...

Lots and Lots of fun.

No comments: