Tuesday, May 10

Out With The Old, In With The New

We are getting rid of my dad.

Slowly, but surely, we are removing every piece of furniture, every photo, every odd possesion of his.

Slowly, but surely, Blair is moving in.

Blair bothered me a lot at first, but that this bothers me more. This, this, ‘parting with dad’ thing we’re subconsiously doing. It’s like, all things have an end, but all the things that i had linked a sentimental value with are slowly dissapearing.

The couches that mom and dad bought together. I know there was only one left because dad took the big one when he moved out, but i remember going to pick out those couches and dad woulnd’t have anything flowery... the day the movers brought them liss and me were right excited because we were so young and we’d build forts and houses out of them, using the cushions as walls, using blankets as the ceilings.

Well, they’re gone now. We now have a nice new set, with big comfy seats and nice upholstery, but i can’t help but wonder what happened to the old ones, the ones that mom and dad picked out together.

All the kitchen silverware, plates and soon to be furniture. Mom went out just recently and bought everything brand new, throwing out all of the old dishes. I actually had to dig in the garbage for
dad's mug.
The new ones are nice, all blue and color-coordinated, but the old ones had character and a story behind them! The old ones were a mix of our family, the chips in them and the scratches and that place on the kitchen table where me and liss carved our names in. (Man, was mom mad about that!)

Mom’s bedroom furniture. Just yesterday, mom had a brand new dresser, side table and headboard delivered. And the old dresser and headboard she had shared with dad? Out, into the trash. This shouldn’t even bother me because it wasn’t my furniture, but i can’t help the fact that i become attached to everything.

We have a new car now too. Mom is out finalizing insurance on it right now. I don’t even remember the last time we really had a car, but that doesn’t mean it’s a good thing. It’s another link she’s forming with blair, he’s had a say in all of these things. And slowly, but surely, his thoughts and possesions are moving into the places where dad’s were.

Slowly, but surely, he’s trying to become a part of the family.

And slowly, but surely, it’s taking such a toll.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can have a new person in your life and not get rid of the other people in it too, You can keep both. And even if all the stuff is gone, You can keep your memories.

Unknown said...

I want to say something, but I cannot come up with the words. The experience you have described is so alien to me. And I completely agree with the anonymous comment above.

Buddy said...

To my mind everybody have to glance at this.
Cajun recipes