Tuesday, April 12

Fighting The Force

When did it become wrong to stand up for what you believed in? When did it become absurd to by loyal? When did it become fair to punish people for doing what they felt was right? When did it become good to not go through with your word?

As of today, I am suspended for two weeks because I partook in the walk-out. At ten to two, along with a few other students from my home room, I walked out of my math class and left the school building.

For weeks now, the teachers and everyone else have been standing up for what they believe in, but when it starts to hurt us, the students, then we need to do the same. Maybe work to rule is helping the teachers, but isn't their main focus as teachers to help us? Shouldn't it be the students that they care most about?

The whole lunch hour, all that anyone could talk about was how the whole school was going to walk out. I was in Athlete's World when me and n heard it on the radio and the cashier began asking us about it. Soon, everyone was talking about it too, so we figured we'd help spread the word a bit. By the time we all went into our fourth period classes, everyone was all, "Oh yeah, I'm walking out! For sure, yea!" But when the time came, no one wanted to make the first move. No one wanted to be the first to stand up for themselves. No one wanted to risk that they might get in trouble.

I left, and now, I face two weeks suspension and it will go on my permanent record. But all I have to say is this; No, I did not make a fool out of myself, I stood up for myself. And I showed that if I say I'm going to do something, that I'm going to do it. Maybe you should all try it sometime, maybe you should all try standing up for yourself.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

so what exactly are u standing up for..do you play a sport??? i didnt think so

Anonymous said...

It became wrong to stand up for what you believed in when you didnt believ in anything. you dont give a damn about the sports or the extra currics, you dont care how much the teachers make, and im pretty sure you love the 2 hour lunches and shorter classes. So many people are only walking out to get the day off school and to feel superior. well guess what?it doesnt work cause you only get suspended, and that suspension goes on your pemanent record. If you REALLY supported your teachers and Sports, then you wouldnt get up in the middle of a class and leave, cause the teachers DONT want the students to do that. If you want to make a differenct start a petition, organize a big walkout, that will not end up breaking the law and starting fires and cause the police to beat people. If you break the law, no one will listen to you because they wont even care about you. So next time you want to take a stand, think of a better mature way to do it. No one gets anywheres in life breaking the law!

Anonymous said...

Rugby wasnt cancelled. they changed the name of there team so that they could still practice. And even if it was, i very much doubt she likes it anyways. she is only doing it cause Jess is. She is just a poser.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kat it's Julia

Whoever wrote that stuff about you being a poser is halairious! It must be funny to you too cuz we all know it isnt true!!:> I love you kat!!! haha We gotta hang out more!!!XOX

Julia

~J~ said...

Kat--I am not sure what you were protesting, but I admire your courage to do so.

You continue to surprise me.

Wtf was that about fires and police??

Hey Anonymous--Walk-outs are peaceful protests. And if you are going to go on a tirade about maturity and all that, at least have the balls to leave a name. Yeah, real mature there. And another thing. Even I can tell Kat believes in something. Open your fucking eyes, dumbass.

k. said...

hey ~j~ and everyone.

well, i see this post has caused much controversy. well, you know, it's great for the visitor-counter.

I walked out because the teachers are not aloud to give extra help anymore because of work to rule. I need that extra help to actually undertsand what i'm learning. And yes, I had much reason to walk out and to take a stand, because even if i wasn't affected, I know people who are.

I especially love the poser comments, seeing as it was me who asked jessy to try out with me for rugby in the first place. OPEN YOUR EYES!!! i am not her clone. yes we are cousins and we are close, but, so? You need to get over some issues there.

thanks everyone for the comments! so glad I'm back!