Saturday, December 18

Dad's Bachelor Pad

Something M. Nadeau said has finally stuck with me, but I'm not sure if it's for the right reasons.

"If you work hard, you will get a better job, and make more money. You will live in better conditons and have a happier life."

I went to my dad's tonight. Or, as I'm going to call it from now on, Dad's Bachelor Pad. I think you'll understand from the rest of the story.

When my dad was younger, things weren't easy for him. He had four other brothers and sisters and two very strict parents. Dad joined the army and met mom, and then had me. He was a grade nine drop-out. He never worked hard, he never took anyone having higher authority then him. Dad lived off of odd jobs that didn't require a diploma, although he was very talented.

Yet, dad makes money. I know he does. I know there's money coming from being a contractor, money from the restuarant, money from *other things* and of course, that steady run of money known as Lindy.

I thought of M. Nadeau's words tonight, while i sat in Dad's Bachelor Pad with him and "Melissa" his friend. Bull, I know her type of girl. I know what's going through her head. I noticed her red thong peeking from her jeans when she got up to get another beer. She looked timid around me, but damn right she better be. Does she really think I'm going to deal with her? I'd have hit her if Dad wasn't there. I would have. I mean she's what? Six years older?!

Lindy wasn't a great person. Me and her had our differences. So did her and dad ovbisouly, I just never knew about them. Maybe dad ran into things too fast after mom. I'm not sure, but I know that I'm already used to the way things were, dad and Lindy in Sussex, me here. Dad going on trips, me here. Dad buying expensive, lavish things with money he didn't share, me here.

But he's given it all up. It's like a movie star-marriage, he didn't even last a year. He gave it all up for the Bachelor Pad in the South End, with the chick who looks like she's on drugs and the random stoned friends dropping by. He gave it all up for the little plate of marijuana on the table and the empty bottles on the floor. He gave it all up. Dad works hard now, he has money, yet, he doesn't want that lifestyle. I don't think he was ever meant to be married. He was meant for the life he wants to live, and i saw that life tonight.

Yet i pity her. I wonder about her. I imagine her sitting in that big old house all alone. In the dark, thinking about the man that broke her. I know how it feels.

Mr. Nadeau said if you work hard, things will be good for you and you will be happy with a lot of money. Dad's happy, I know that. Although the circumstances are quite unerving. I just worry about him. I dread the day i bring my children to meet "Grandad" who lives in a bachelor pad in the South End with "Melissa" the bitch with little eyebrows and the constant showing red thong who smokes like a chimney. I hope he's happy, because he sure as fuck puts me through hell.

1 comment:

Dominic said...

The writer is totally fair, and there's no doubt.
pro games direct | win free game | my flash games | go to pc games | full version download