Wednesday, December 22

Away in a Manger

I read somewhere today that I should spend my time writting on my own blog about my own beliefs, so I've decided to. I'm going to talk about my true meaning of Christmas, as I see it. I'm also quoting the Bible a bit in this, mind you it's the Jehovah's Wittness version, but you'll find it's the same thing as any of your Christian Bibles. No one takes the time to think that just because they don't celebrate Christmas with presents and lavish things doesn't mean they don't have Christmas in thier own unique way. Christmas means something else to every single one of us.

The story of Jesus starts in the book of Matthew 1:20. This first chapter says;

" But after he had thought these things over, look! Jehovah's angel appeared to him in a dream, saying; "Joeseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary your wife home, for that which has been begotten in her is by holy spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you must call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from thier sins. All this actually came about for that to be fulfilled which was spoken by Jehovah through his prophet, saying: "Look! The virgin will become pregnant and will give birth to a son, and they will call his name Immanuel," which means, when translated, "With us Is God." Then Joeseph woke up from his sleep and did as the angel of Jehovah had directed him, and he took his wife home. But he had no intercourse with her until she gave birth to a son, and he called his name Jesus. "

Christmas for me is just a day where we get presents, as i was taught that the actual day of Jesus' Birth took place in November, and we did celebrate that day. But also every Christmas day we would have services to thank god for the ultimate gift, the gift of life and the gift of his own son. (For those of you who are Christian, you can substitute the word Jehovah for God.)

The story of Jesus and the many many things that he did for us as a group is amazing. I, as a person, even without a relegion, thank God and Jesus for making the sacrifice of life for us.

Christmas is only a day when you think about it as presents. Yesterday me and some friends had "Christmas Spirit Day," To try and get excited for Christmas, as we found we weren't this year. I think maybe why i lost my desire with Christmas is because it lost it's relegious value with me.

Try and imagine growing up your life without any of the rituals and presents or carols or tv shows or movies. Without the Grinch or stories or family get-to-gethers. Think about growing up your whole life with only the story of how Jesus gave his life for you and everyone you hold dear. That's what Christmas will always be to me. The gifts and other things are merely bonuses.

No comments: